bvstone

Why I Cancelled my DynDNS Service and How I Replaced It with an IBM i Application

Posted:

Why I Cancelled my DynDNS Service and How I Replaced It with an IBM i Application

For years I have been using DynDNS for automatic updating of my Domain Name hosts and their IP addresses. I used this because I was in the unfortunate position of not being able to get a static IP address for my business account from my ISP.

The DynDNS service worked great for years.  I would simply install a client on my PC and it would monitor my IP address and update the DNS records hosted by DynDNS when needed.

But, a couple years ago I installed the latest Client (after Oracle bought out DynDNS) and noticed that not only did I have problems installing it, but once it was running it wouldn't automatically update my IP address when it changed.  This wasn't good and caused many issues, as you can imagine.  Most of the time my IP address would change after a power outage.  This was normally at night and being a heavy sleeper I would sleep through it, only to wake up to realize my web sites were down.  With customers accessing my main BVSTools.com site for information, downloads and license keys, this would simply to do and I needed to find a more reliable method of keeping my IP address up to date.  And as they say, if you want something done right, do it yourself.

Seeing as how I've created many Web Service interfaces for RESTful applications ranging from Google to HubSpot to Ebay, I checked and my Domain Registrar (GoDaddy) now has APIs available that will allow me to update my IP addresses using a simple RESTful call to one of their APIs.

In a few hours I had some tests up and running and was successfully:

1.  Retrieving my public IP address using an ILE subprocedure (from https:///api.ipify.org using GETURI, but if this changes it's easy enough to find another provider).

2.  Retrieving the current IP address for my multiple A records from GoDaddy using one of their RESTful APIs

3.  Comparing the two, and if need be, updating the IP addresses.

I then created a CL that runs the program to check and update the IP addresses if needed, checking the status every hour.  Every 10th check a status report is also sent just as a reminder that the application is still running.  (I also did use JOBWATCH to monitor my system to make sure the job is running, and if not send me an email message to let me know).

The program is as follows:

**FREE
ctl-opt DFTACTGRP(*NO) ACTGRP('GODADDY') BNDDIR('GODADDY');

// Imports
/COPY QCOPYSRC,P.GODADDY
/COPY MAILTOOL/QCOPYSRC,P.MAILTOOL
/COPY QCOPYSRC,P.SQL

// Work Variables
dcl-s DNSIP char(256);
dcl-s PublicIP char(256);
dcl-s rc int(10);
dcl-s errorCount int(10);
dcl-s updateCount int(10);
dcl-s runCount int(10);
dcl-s errMsg char(256);
dcl-s emailSubject char(65535);
dcl-s emailBody char(65535);
dcl-s nwBody char(65535);

dcl-ds GDDOMDS extname('GDDOMPF') end-ds;

DNSIP = ' ';
PublicIP = ' ';
rc = 0;
errorCount = 0;
updateCount = 0;
errMsg = ' ';
emailSubject = ' ';
emailBody = ' ';
nwBody = ' ';
runCount += 1;

rc = #gd_getPublicIP(PublicIP:errMsg);

if (rc < 0) or (PublicIP = ' ');
  errMsg = 'Error retrieving Public IP address.';
  exsr $Error;
endif;

exec sql declare C1 cursor for                    
  select GDMDOMAIN, GDMTYPE, GDMNAME from GDDOMPF        
    order by GDMDOMAIN;

exec sql open C1;      

exec sql fetch from C1               
   into :GDMDOMAIN, :GDMTYPE, :GDMNAME;         

dow (xSQLState2 = Success_On_Sql);   

nwBody = %trim(nwBody) + 
           'Checking Domain ' + %trim(GDMDOMAIN) + 
           ' Type ' + %trim(GDMTYPE) + 
           ' Name ' + %trim(GDMNAME) + '.\n';

rc = #gd_getDNSServerIP(GDMDOMAIN:GDMTYPE:GDMNAME:DNSIP:errMsg);

nwBody = %trim(nwBody) + 
           'Public: ' + %trim(PublicIP) + '\n' + 
           'DNS: ' + %trim(DNSIP) + '\n'; 

if (rc < 0);
    exec sql close C1;
    errMsg = 'Error retrieving DNS IP address:' + 
              '\nDomain:' + 
              %trim(GDMDOMAIN) + 
              '\nType:' + 
              %trim(GDMTYPE) +
              '\nName:' + 
              %trim(GDMNAME) + 
              '\n\n' + 
              'Error:' + %trim(errMsg);
    exsr $Error;
  endif;

if (PublicIP <> DNSIP);
    nwBody = %trim(nwBody) + 
            'Change Required!  Attempting change...\n'; 
    exsr $UpdateIP;
  else;
    nwBody = %trim(nwBody) + 
             'No change needed.\n\n'; 
  endif;

exec sql fetch from C1               
     into :GDMDOMAIN, :GDMTYPE, :GDMNAME;         
enddo;

exec sql close C1;

if (errorCount <= 0) and (updateCount <= 0) and (runCount = 10);
  exsr $NoWorries;
  runCount = 0;
endif;

exsr $Return;

//***************************************************************              
//* Send No Worries Email                                                        
begsr $NoWorries;   

if (#mailtool_init() >= 0);                                      
    rc = #mailtool_setValue('configuration_file':                  
                            '/bvstools/bvstone_mailtool.json');                     
    rc = #mailtool_loadDefaults();                                 
    rc = #mailtool_addTORecipient('bvstone@bvstools.com');         
    rc = #mailtool_setValue('subject':'IP Address Update Status Report');     
    rc = #mailtool_setValue('message':nwBody);
    rc = #mailtool_sendMail(errMsg);                               
  endif;     

endsr;

//* Update IP Address                                                         
begsr $UpdateIP;   

updateCount += 1;

emailBody = 'Domain ' + %trim(GDMDOMAIN) + 
              ' Type ' + %trim(GDMTYPE) + 
              ' Name ' + %trim(GDMNAME) + 
              ' requires an IP address change from ' + 
              %trim(DNSIP) + ' to ' + %trim(PublicIP) + '.';

rc = #gd_updateDNSServerIP(GDMDOMAIN:GDMTYPE:GDMNAME:PublicIP:errMsg);

if (rc < 0);
    emailSubject = '**ERROR Updating Dynamic IP for ' + %trim(GDMDOMAIN);
    emailBody = %trim(EmailBody) + '\n\n' + 
                'Status: ERROR\n' + 
                'Error Details: ' + %trim(errMsg);
    nwBody = %trim(nwBody) + 
            'Error updating IP Address!\n\n';
  else;
    emailSubject = '**SUCCESS Updating Dynamic IP for ' + %trim(GDMDOMAIN);
    emailBody = %trim(EmailBody) + '\n\n' + 
                'Status: SUCCESS';
    nwBody = %trim(nwBody) + 
            'Change Successful.\n\n';                
  endif;

rc = #mailtool_setValue('subject':emailSubject);     
    rc = #mailtool_setValue('message':emailBody);
  endif;     

endsr;

//* Return Error                                                               
begsr $Error;       

errorCount += 1;

rc = #mailtool_setValue('subject':'Check DNS Error');      
    rc = #mailtool_setValue('message':errMsg);                   
  endif;     

exsr $Return;

endsr;

//* Return
begsr $Return;

// we're not setting on *INLR so that we can count and send messages if needed
  //  every 10 hours
  //*INLR = *ON;
  return;

endsr;

As you can see, this isn't very complicated and uses MAILTOOL to send any messages such as errors, successful updates, or simple messages that let me know everything is ok that will be sent every 10 times the application runs.  Because the application is set to run every hour, then every 10 hours I should receive a status email.

The functions starting with #gd_ are the GoDaddy functions I created to specifically deal with GoDaddy's RESTful APIs.  GETURI is used to make the requests, and YAJL is used to build and parse the JSON data, which in this case is very simple.

The following functions are available in the F.GODADDY service program:

• #gd_getControlValue - Get a Control Value.  These are system wide control values such as the API locations, if Debug is on, etc.   
  • #gd_getDomainControlValue - Get a Domain Level Control Value.  These control values are at the domain level.  This is so that if I ever want to set up this monitor for domains that may be outside of my GoDaddy account, it's as simple as adding them in here.  The main value used here is the API Key and Secret for my account.
  • #gd_getPublicIP - Get Public IP Address.  This function will retrieve the current public IP address for my system.
  • #gd_getDNSServerIP -  Get DNS Server IP Address.  This function will get the currently specified IP address for the domain and host specified (type A records only).         
  • #gd_updateDNSServerIP - Update DNS Server IP Address.   This function will update the current IP address for the domain and host specified (type A records only).

So, the functionality is, at a high level, very simple.  Just get the public IP, get the DNS IP and compare them.  If they are different, issue an update.

If you have any questions feel free to contact us!  We plan on letting this run on our own system for a while before we decide if it will be something we will offer to customers.  

Last edited 07/17/2019 at 11:43:25

Latest Posts:

Update for Google WorkSpace Accounts (2024): Google Dropping Support for Update for Google WorkSpace Accounts (2024): Google Dropping Support for "Less Secure Apps" May 30th, 2022. What Does This Mean for Your IBM i Email?
Posted by January 19, 2024
BVSTools >> BVSTools Software Discussion >> Email Tools (MAILTOOL) Specific Discussion
Sales By State Report in QuickBooks Online Sales By State Report in QuickBooks Online
Posted by January 13, 2024
QuickBooks >> QuickBooks Online
How to Whitelist GreenTools for G Suite (G4G) For Your Organization How to Whitelist GreenTools for G Suite (G4G) For Your Organization
Posted by November 5, 2023
BVSTools >> BVSTools Software Discussion >> GreenTools for G Suite (Google Apps) (G4G) Specific Discussion
QuickBooks Online Releases QuickBooks Online Releases "New Invoices!"... and It's Terrible!
Posted by October 8, 2023
Admin/4i - What is it? Admin/4i - What is it?
Posted by September 30, 2023
Vendor Corner >> MSD Information Technology
BVSTools Releases Send Job Log to BVSTools (SNDLOG2BVS) Command BVSTools Releases Send Job Log to BVSTools (SNDLOG2BVS) Command
Posted by August 28, 2023
BVSTools >> BVSTools Announcements
MAILTOOL Now Allows Email Redirection for Development and Testing MAILTOOL Now Allows Email Redirection for Development and Testing
Posted by May 27, 2023
BVSTools >> BVSTools Announcements >> eMail Tool (MAILTOOL) Specific Announcements
GreenTools for Microsoft Apps (G4MS) Now Supports Footers When Sending Email GreenTools for Microsoft Apps (G4MS) Now Supports Footers When Sending Email
Posted by March 29, 2023
BVSTools >> BVSTools Announcements >> GreenTools for Microsoft Apps (G4MS) Specific Announcements
QuickBooks Online - Subtotals and Discounts Frustration QuickBooks Online - Subtotals and Discounts Frustration
Posted by March 16, 2023
Making the Switch From QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online - No Picnic Making the Switch From QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online - No Picnic
Posted by March 16, 2023
BVSTools Software Verified on V7R5 and Power10 BVSTools Software Verified on V7R5 and Power10
Posted by December 9, 2022
BVSTools >> BVSTools Announcements
Microsoft Office 365 Servers and Random Errors Issue Microsoft Office 365 Servers and Random Errors Issue
Posted by November 14, 2022
BVSTools >> BVSTools Software Discussion >> Email Tools (MAILTOOL) Specific Discussion
Sending/Resending Emails Using a MIME File with MAILTOOL Sending/Resending Emails Using a MIME File with MAILTOOL
Posted by November 8, 2022
Sending an HTML Email on Your IBM i Using MAILTOOL Sending an HTML Email on Your IBM i Using MAILTOOL
Posted by November 1, 2022
Transferring License Keys from One System to Another Transferring License Keys from One System to Another
Posted by October 31, 2022
BVSTools >> BVSTools Software Discussion

© Copyright 1983-2020 BVSTools
GreenBoard(v3) Powered by the eRPG SDK, MAILTOOL Plus!, GreenTools for Google Apps, jQuery, jQuery UI, BlockUI, CKEditor and running on the IBM i (AKA AS/400, iSeries, System i).