Forums >> IBM Power Systems >> PTF Watch

Jump to:

bvstone

V7R2 QtmmSendMail API Issue with Error Number (errno) 3452 (Too many files open for this process)

Posted:

V7R2 QtmmSendMail API Issue with Error Number (errno) 3452 (Too many files open for this process)

I recently was helping a customer with an issue they were having with one of our products to convert spooled files to PDF (AFPTOOL).

After a few calls, they would get error returned from the tool.  The actual error in the job log was:

Unable to open output PDF file. 0000003452                         
Error during TIFF to PDF conversion step.

Error Number (errno) 3452 means "Too many files open for this process."  That means that there is something that isn't closing file descriptors properly.

This customer also was doing some home grown IFS file work and we thought it was possible there was an issue there.  But in debugging we found the file descriptors returned from the open() API were not consistent.  After a call to the QtmmSendMail API then next open would result in a file descriptor of one higher than was expected.

So it went something like this:

fd = open(file); //fd = 3
sendEmail(); //This calls the QtmmSendMail API
rc = close(fd); //rc = 0
fd = open(myNextFile); //fd = 4... this should be 3!!!

After a few spooled file conversions and sending of emails, we would eventually hit the errno 3452.  Not caused by our software, but reported by our software.  It turns out the QtmmSendMail API was the culprit.

A quick search and this APAR was found:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas2a236805efbc82aaa86257eaf003c6f35

So again, if you're on V7R2 and have any applications that use the QtmmSendMail API, please make sure you have this PTF installed.

And also remember that if you're a MAILTOOL user and you are specifying SENDWITH(*MAILTOOL) you are using MAILTOOL Plus and this will not apply.  This is because MAILTOOL Plus will totally bypass the IBM SMTP/MSF system using our own SMTP process for delivery.

This will only apply to any of our MAILTOOL customers if you are specifying SENDWITH(*IBMSMTP) which passes the email off to the IBM SMTP/MSF system for delivery, as well as other users that have home grown or 3rd party applications using the QtmmSendMail API.

Last edited 03/12/2022 at 10:29:07

Latest Posts:

Update for Google WorkSpace Accounts (2024): Google Dropping Support for Update for Google WorkSpace Accounts (2024): Google Dropping Support for "Less Secure Apps" May 30th, 2022. What Does This Mean for Your IBM i Email?
Posted by January 19, 2024
BVSTools >> BVSTools Software Discussion >> Email Tools (MAILTOOL) Specific Discussion
Sales By State Report in QuickBooks Online Sales By State Report in QuickBooks Online
Posted by January 13, 2024
QuickBooks >> QuickBooks Online
How to Whitelist GreenTools for G Suite (G4G) For Your Organization How to Whitelist GreenTools for G Suite (G4G) For Your Organization
Posted by November 5, 2023
BVSTools >> BVSTools Software Discussion >> GreenTools for G Suite (Google Apps) (G4G) Specific Discussion
QuickBooks Online Releases QuickBooks Online Releases "New Invoices!"... and It's Terrible!
Posted by October 8, 2023
Admin/4i - What is it? Admin/4i - What is it?
Posted by September 30, 2023
Vendor Corner >> MSD Information Technology
BVSTools Releases Send Job Log to BVSTools (SNDLOG2BVS) Command BVSTools Releases Send Job Log to BVSTools (SNDLOG2BVS) Command
Posted by August 28, 2023
BVSTools >> BVSTools Announcements
MAILTOOL Now Allows Email Redirection for Development and Testing MAILTOOL Now Allows Email Redirection for Development and Testing
Posted by May 27, 2023
BVSTools >> BVSTools Announcements >> eMail Tool (MAILTOOL) Specific Announcements
GreenTools for Microsoft Apps (G4MS) Now Supports Footers When Sending Email GreenTools for Microsoft Apps (G4MS) Now Supports Footers When Sending Email
Posted by March 29, 2023
BVSTools >> BVSTools Announcements >> GreenTools for Microsoft Apps (G4MS) Specific Announcements
QuickBooks Online - Subtotals and Discounts Frustration QuickBooks Online - Subtotals and Discounts Frustration
Posted by March 16, 2023
Making the Switch From QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online - No Picnic Making the Switch From QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online - No Picnic
Posted by March 16, 2023
BVSTools Software Verified on V7R5 and Power10 BVSTools Software Verified on V7R5 and Power10
Posted by December 9, 2022
BVSTools >> BVSTools Announcements
Microsoft Office 365 Servers and Random Errors Issue Microsoft Office 365 Servers and Random Errors Issue
Posted by November 14, 2022
BVSTools >> BVSTools Software Discussion >> Email Tools (MAILTOOL) Specific Discussion
Sending/Resending Emails Using a MIME File with MAILTOOL Sending/Resending Emails Using a MIME File with MAILTOOL
Posted by November 8, 2022
Sending an HTML Email on Your IBM i Using MAILTOOL Sending an HTML Email on Your IBM i Using MAILTOOL
Posted by November 1, 2022
Transferring License Keys from One System to Another Transferring License Keys from One System to Another
Posted by October 31, 2022
BVSTools >> BVSTools Software Discussion
samir.k.dawn2011@gmail.com

RE: V7R2 QtmmSendMail API Issue with Error Number (errno) 3452 (Too many files open for this process)

Posted:

RE: V7R2 QtmmSendMail API Issue with Error Number (errno) 3452 (Too many files open for this process)

Hi,

I am using API QtmmSendMail to send HTML Email but getting an error 3452 - “Too many open files for this process.” Looks like the API is causing the issue and not closing the descriptors properly. We are at V7R3. The link you have shared for the PTF is saying not found. Any suggestion how can I fix this error? many thanks in advance.

Last edited 08/30/2021 at 05:57:35

bvstone

RE: RE: V7R2 QtmmSendMail API Issue with Error Number (errno) 3452 (Too many files open for this process)

Posted:

RE: RE: V7R2 QtmmSendMail API Issue with Error Number (errno) 3452 (Too many files open for this process)

I personally would review your code making sure any socket or file descriptor you open is closed.  If you're 100% sure that you're not leaving any open then I would search for PTFs for your OS version, or give IBM a call to see if they have a solution.

Last edited 08/30/2021 at 07:32:16

© Copyright 1983-2020 BVSTools
GreenBoard(v3) Powered by the eRPG SDK, MAILTOOL Plus!, GreenTools for Google Apps, jQuery, jQuery UI, BlockUI, CKEditor and running on the IBM i (AKA AS/400, iSeries, System i).